For small business owners, startups and entrepreneurs, the proposition of free web hosting is an attractive option as it eliminates the ongoing cost associated with paid web hosting services. However, one should understand the significant differences between paid and free web hosting services before building a website. Here are the five major differences between paid web hosting providers or companies and free providers.
Paid Web Hosting Providers:
- Uniqueness: Paid web hosting providers or companies provide a personalized domain name, creating a unique identity for businesses online.
- Reliability: Paid web hosting providers or companies guarantee 99 percent uptime, which is absolutely essential for businesses.
- Search Engine Rankings: Building a website with a paid provider or company results in a higher search engine rankings and better online visibility. Higher search engine ranking is what every online business seeks in this digital age.
- Bandwidth and Storage: Paid web hosting providers or companies give the freedom for businesses to choose from a variety of packages, with different bandwidth and storage space. Using paid services don’t lead to inconveniences during business while it happens in free web hosting.
- Support and Assistance: Paid web hosting services provide businesses to enjoy 24/7 technical support via phone, email or chat, promising peace of mind even during a crisis.
Free Web Hosting Providers:
- Uniqueness: Free web hosting providers or companies provides a domain address that has their company’s name included in the URL. This will certainly not create a professional image for businesses since customers never take websites hosted by free providers.
- Reliability: Free web hosting providers or companies do not offer the same uptime like paid web hosting companies do. As websites hosted by free providers are prone to witness a lot of downtime. This will more likely to cause a negative impact for businesses and may result in loss of customers and revenues.
- Search Engine Rankings: Free web hosting providers or companies display irreverent ads and unprofessional links on the websites. Moreover, these platforms are also infamous for being used by spammers to create dummy websites. Such factors lead to lower search engine rankings.
- Bandwidth and Storage: Free web hosting providers or companies provide limited bandwidth and storage space, making it inconvenient to upload and transfer video clips, photos, maps and so on. As, some companies restrict user access once the bandwidth limit is reached. At this time businesses have to wait for a period of time to alter their website content.
- Support and Assistance: Free web hosting platforms do not provide immediate support in case of any technical glitches. This is a major problem for complex sites that are based upon MySQL databases, PHP and Perl scripts.